Toddlers and babies bring joy to a household. However, they are prone to accidents. At the toddler age, children want to walk around and explore without knowing the dangers likely to face them. It is the responsibility of the parent or guardian to make sure that the babies are safe and playing in a child-friendly environment. In this article, we are going to focus on common accident areas and how to make them safe for toddlers.
Making your home child-friendly
This is the first area to inspect. Using the stairs carelessly is dangerous even for the adults. If you have witnessed a stair-related accident, you know how dangerous things can get. Below are ways to keep the stairs safe.
- Add slip-proof mats on the steps
- Educating your children on stair safety
- Adding a soft rubber at the spot where the stairs end to reduce injury in case of accidents
- Nonslip grips on the stair handles will be of great help as well.
We cannot do without electricity, but it is hazardous at the same time. Major injuries occur when electricity comes into conduct with the skin. This is clear to adults, but children know nothing about it. They will poke their hands on the outlets anytime. One of the main causes of children accidents is electrocution. Below are tips on how to keep electric outlets safe.
- Covering with outlets with furniture
- Transferring the outlets at higher levels beyond the child’s reach
- Installing power outlet covers especially for sockets not in use.
Slipping is the major cause of accidents in the bathroom. Adults and children can slip and fall in the bathroom. Soapy wet tiles are the leading cause of slipping. Here is how to prevent slipping in the bathroom.
- Place anti-slip rubber mats and plastic on the bathroom floor
- Renovate to anti-slip tiles
- Soap should be well stored to avoid if falling to cause accidents
- Adding soft cushion on the sink and toilet corners to prevent injuries
This is the place to cook food; you must never allow your children to be alone in the kitchen. Sometimes, however, children sneak to the kitchen without your knowledge. You will be shocked to find the playing with sharp objects like forks and knives. This is how to keep the kitchen safe.
- Knives and other sharp objects should be stored in a high area beyond the child’s reach.
- Ensure that your oven has child safety features such that they cannot open and come inside.